Touted as the next generation non-surgical and effective alternative to liposuction that promises perceptible and long-lasting changes, CoolSculpting sounds too good to be true. Supposedly, fat cells are very vunerable to exposure to low temperatures and over a period of time, these affected cells undergo cyrolipolysis, die and are eventually shed; leaving you with a slimmer silhoutte and a sculpted contour.
Offhand, it seems the perfect solution for those who can't shake off the last few pounds of stubborn fat or have some pockets of fat that make us bulge in parts and make us look as though our clothes had shrunk. According to Vogue, the leading fashion and lifestyle magazine, "CoolSculpting was first approved by the FDA in 2010 but recently gained attention when it was rebranded from minor spot treatment to a noninvasive alternative to liposuction, promising to eviscerate love handles and bra bulge with the wave of a cooling padde". It does seem as if there is hope on the horizon for people like me who can't lose weight despite exercising and being on restricted diets.
Is CoolSculpting for You?
Some experts weighed in on whether CoolSculpting is truly worth every pretty penny or just hype. To set the proper expectations, it is a cool tool if you just need a "tweak" but not the more extensive "overhaul" that liposuction offers. It's not for those who want significant weight loss in order to morph into the next Gigi Hadid or Kendall Jenner overnight. But, it's definitely for you if you want to get rid of bulges (even that annoying double chin) a couple of months prior to your next college reunion; or just want to look more attractive and confident knowing that you can take a selfie from any angle without cringing or sucking in your muffin top or daddy bod until you are a lovely shade of blue.
If you find yourself hiding half of your torso during photo-ops or heading for some comforting ice-cream cone after deleting all but one of your selfies, you must definitely consider this option! According to the CoolSculpting site, "In the U.S., the CoolSculpting procedure is FDA-cleared for the treatment of visible fat bulges in the submental area, thigh, abdomen and flank, along with bra fat, back fat, and underneath the buttocks (also known as banana roll)."
According to our Juvly Doctors and Master Providers, the best candidate for CoolSculpting, a fat-removal (not weight loss) procedure:
- Is at or near his / her ideal weight
- Wants to reduce specific, small areas of fat
- Leads a healthy lifestyle that includes exercise and a nutritious diet and
- Has skin that retains most of its elasticity.
How It is Done
CoolSculpting has undergone a lot of changes since its launch. Treatment time is now faster, cooling is more uniform and the suction cup or paddle is better customized to deliver precise cooling. For those who have areas bigger than the size of the paddle, don't despair. CoolSculpting areas are overlapped, angled and viewed from a 360 degrees perspective to closely target the fat you want to lose - and still look natural.
The most crucial decision you can make when considering CoolSculpting is the Doctor or Provider who must be highly skilled and profesionally trained in the procedure. Experience does count so go for a clinic or medspa that does a lot these treatments, day in and day out.
After the interview where you discuss aesthetic goals and lifestyles, the Provider will begin working on the specific area you are most unhappy with, such as belly fat or the not-so-lovable love handles. Note that CoolSculpting views each body as unique and approaches transformation from a holistic point of view. Using different applicators, your Provider can begin with your most troublesome sites: the most resistant or the bulges that bother you the most. That said, it is important to take really good before and after photos because relying on your memory might be misleading. All too often, as the fat is reduced in one area, other parts may now catch your attention. NO, the fat didn't move or transfer (they die, remember?) - it's just a trick of the eye and does point out which part of the body would need contouring next.
It may take more than one cycle to get the results worth raving about and weeks before the changes become noticeable. The machine looks like something straight out of a science fiction movie but the steps are quite simple:
1. The site is "drawn on" so that the application point is precise and the results more targeted and even.
2. After applying a gel-like substance, the applicator (suction cup, paddle) is carefully "attached". When the vacuum pressure drws the tissue into the applicator cup, lients report varying sensations (tugging sucking, deep pulling, piching, cold etc) and degrees of tolerable discomfort. Multiple areas can be done and there is no need for pre-treatment numbing. Providers at Juvly add, that some "experience intense stinging, tingling, aching, or cramping" which subside as the treatment area grows numb.
3. The applicator is "detached" after the recommended treatment duration has elapsed:
4. Although cryolipolysis begins immediately after the fat-freezing procedure, visible results can be see only after two weeks or so, with the most dramatic results realized 2-4 months after the CoolSculpting treatment.
How Safe is It?
Long story short, it is much safer than Liposuction. Because it is non-invasive, there are no serious complications such as stroke, embolism or hemorrhage. In 2017, The National Center for Biotechnology Information NCBI), published a study conducted by Dierickx CC,E. which showed these significant findings:
- There were no reported side effects or adverse reactions from the study group of 518 patients
- The procedure was well-tolerated (96%)
- Abdomen, back, and flank treatment sites were most effective, with 86% of subjects showing improvement per investigator assessment.
- 82% would recommend the procedure to friends.
There is no downtime and residual effects like the feeling of dullness goes away after a few days. Some patients have reported bruising, inflammation and redness on the treatment area; but these also resolve typically within two weeks.
How Much Does It Cost?
CoolSculpting prices at Juvly are something we like to brag about. In fact, we often say, "it's too low to publish". Click on this for the current package pricing.
- What is CoolSculpting?. (2017). Coolsculpting.com. Retrieved 12 July 2017, from http://www.coolsculpting.com/what-is-coolsculpting/
- Dierickx CC, e. (2017). Safety, tolerance, and patient satisfaction with noninvasive cryolipolysis. - PubMed - NCBI . Ncbi.nlm.nih.gov. Retrieved 11 July 2017, from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2363906
- DOES FAT FREEZING WORK? TWO EXPERTS WEIGH IN ON COOLSCULPTING. (2016). VOGUE. RETRIEVED 10 JULY 2017, FROM HTTP://WWW.VOGUE.COM/ARTICLE/WHAT-IS-COOLSCULPTING-WEIGHTLOSS-FAT-FREEZING