If you're already one of my clients, you know that I LOVE LOVE LOVE coconut oil. It's so unbelievably versatile and a good natural & healthy alternative for many products you use at home! Here 10 of my favorite ways to use coconut oil at home. Make sure when doing any of these to buy pure organic raw coconut oil. Nothing's better than that!
1. Daily moisturizer. Mix coconut with your favorite essential oil (my favorite is a citrus essential oil made by Dotera) and viola! Instant super hydrating moisturizer, for your entire body!!
2. Makeup remover. Put coconut oil on a small cotton ball or cloth and use to gently remove any mascara, foundation, etc.
3. Fried hair, colored, damaged hair?? Coconut oil is the perfect product to put on your hair. I usually just take a glob and brush it through the ends of my hair wrap it up and leave it in over night. Wash in the morning! Your split ends will love you.
4. Bug spray. What? Yes. Bug spray. Mix coconut oil with peppermint essential oil and keep in a jar or bottle. Coconut oil is hard when cold but when hot, it's liquid! Perfect to spray on your body. Smells good, great for your skin, and repels bugs! Yes yes yes!
5. Teeth whitener. This seriously works! I've done it many times. It also helps prevent cavities and gingivitis, promotes healthy enamel production and its preventative for stains from coffee, tea and everything in between. Just take a tablespoon of coconut oil and swish it around in your mouth for 10-15 minutes. Or however long you can tolerate it. Or mix coconut oil with baking soda and brush your teeth throughly for 5 minutes to get extra white teeth.
6. Cooking. You can always cook with coconut oil. It's the perfect & healthier substitute for vegetable oil or butter.
7. Sunburn! Use this as a moisturizer to calm your skin from sunburn & irritation.
8. Lip balm. Mix with natural Shea butter and your choice of essential oils and use as a clear moisturizing lip balm.
9. Chafe prevention. If you're like me and have those thunder thighs that like to rub together, wearing dresses can be uncomfortable!! Lather up your legs with coconut oil before going out. It acts as a slip and so your legs can't irritate each other.Your legs will be thanking you later!
10. Last but not least. Dog treats! Coconut oil isn't only good for humans, it's great for animals too! Mix coconut oil with peanut butter. Put in ice cube trays or a cute molding of your choice, leave in fridge to harden. This is great for dogs with skin issue. Also good for their hair, teeth and coat.